DISCLAIMER: Online sports betting is not live in California as of May 2023. This review is speculative based on the BetMGM Sportsbook app in states where it is available. This page will be updated when we get closer to launch day in California.
BetMGM California may have a leg up in the future California retail sportsbook world thanks to its relationships with existing Indian casinos. But it will also be a major player among sportsbook apps when they’re eventually allowed in California.
Backed by world-renowned brand MGM Resorts, BetMGM has very few flaws and will appeal to sharp bettors and rookie bettors alike if sports betting in California ever becomes legal.
BetMGM boasts arguably the best ongoing promos in the industry, including odds boosts, prize giveaways, and rewards program perks. And if that time comes, you’ll be able to use our exclusive BetMGM California bonus code to claim your welcome bonus.
Below is a BetMGM California review that details everything you need to know about this fast-rising competitor in the sports betting industry.
Is BetMGM Legal in California?
No. Sports betting is not legal in California, so this review is purely speculative and based on the BetMGM Sportsbook platform in states where it’s legal.
BetMGM California Bonus Code June 2023
Whenever the app launches, our BetMGM California bonus code SHARP will give you access to one of the best California sportsbook bonuses available: Up to $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets. That’s essentially $1,000 in first-bet insurance, or a $1,000 bonus bet. Terms and conditions apply.
But most sportsbook apps are shying away from using “free” at all in their welcome promo offers. For instance, FanDuel calls its offer a No Sweat First Bet and BetRivers calls its a 2nd Chance Bet. BetMGM’s, officially, is a First Bet Offer Up to $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets.
Whatever you call it, they’re all the same.
|BetMGM California Bonus Code 📱||SHARP (only valid when the app launches — estimated at 2025)|
|Welcome Offer 💰||Up to $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets|
|What States Allow BetMGM 🗺️||AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, MS, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY|
|BetMGM's Land-Based Partner 🏢||TBA|
|Bonus Code Verified for ✔️||June 2023|
BetMGM Sportsbook Pros and Cons
✅ MGM Rewards is arguably the best rewards program in the sports betting industry.
✅ BetMGM pairs a quality welcome bonus with a strong list of ongoing promos.
✅ No complaints on sports betting options and leagues to bet on.
😡 Other sportsbooks have higher-performing mobile apps.
😡 Odds boosts can have low maximum bet limits.
BetMGM California: Bonus and Promos (4.5/5)
BetMGM currently offers bettors in legal sports betting states a Up to $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets as its welcome bonus. And, again, we’ve got the BetMGM bonus code California users will want if the app launches.
How to Use BetMGM in California
If the sportsbook app ever becomes legal in California, here’s how you can get your BetMGM bonus.
- Visit the BetMGM website.
- Click on Register at the top of the screen.
- Create an account by entering some personal information, including address, birth date, and Social Security number.
- Enter our exclusive bonus code SHARP where directed on the final registration screen.
- Download the BetMGM app to your mobile device: iOS app (App Store) or Android app (Google Play Store).
- Open the BetMGM app when it launches in California.
- Place your first bet of at least $10 to receive Up to $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets if your bet loses.
How the BetMGM Welcome Bonus Works
It’s important to note that any first bet of $50 or more will get refunded in five 20% increments, not all at once. But that’s not unique just to BetMGM. Stipulations like that are common across all sportsbook first-bet offers.
So, if you lose a first bet of $100, you’ll get five bonus bet vouchers of $20. And keep in mind: You must use these credits within seven days of receiving them, otherwise they will go away.
The bonus also must be used with a minimum bet of $10.
Beyond its welcome offer, BetMGM Sportsbook is also well-regarded for its ongoing promotions and bonuses, as well as its MGM Rewards program. In terms of building customer loyalty, BetMGM is a 10 out of 10.
Regarding the $1,000 paid back in bonus bets, that’s not the highest number out there.
Still, BetMGM CA will be a high-quality addition to your sports betting portfolio. The Parlay Plus features profit boosters of up to 40% and insurance that offers lost wager refunds of $20 to $25. Prize giveaways often include authentic merchandise from local professional teams.
BetMGM Current Promotions
Other ongoing promotions from February 2023 include:
- $100,000 Big Game Prop Bet Challenge — Answer 15 prop bet questions for Super Bowl 57. If all 15 bets win, you’ll be entered to win a $100,000 prize. If you get 12-14 right, you’ll still get a bonus bet.
- Score a $10 Bonus Bet — Place a total of $100 in live betting wagers, and you’ll receive a $10 bonus bet.
- Refer a Friend — Get a friend to sign up for BetMGM and deposit money, and they’ll receive a $50 bonus bet. For you to get your $50 bonus bet, your friend must bet through that $50 bonus bet once.
- Edit My Bet — This unique feature allows BetMGM customers to edit their straight or parlay bets that have Cash Out available. Terms and conditions apply.
Put it this way: If you sign up for BetMGM in California, we have a hard time seeing you ever deleting the app.
BetMGM Sportsbook in California: Betting Odds (5/5)
BetMGM will offer some of the best lines across all competitions in California. This extends to professional sports, college athletics, and international competitions.
Futures odds deal with end-of-season outcomes, such as World Series winner, NBA MVP, and so on. BetMGM Sportsbook California will be an excellent place to find high-quality futures odds. While it’s difficult to pin down one app as the best option when it comes to odds, bettors can be confident they will find good values with this online sportsbook.
This is where BetMGM sets itself apart. The Parlay Plus is a particularly noteworthy offer — you can boost profits by as much as 40% every day on seven-leg parlays. But even four-leg parlays are boosted by 15%.
Beyond the futures and parlay categories, BetMGM offers competitive betting odds on moneyline, points spread, and prop bets. It also offers a powerful live-betting platform that rarely freezes, which is a common issue among other betting apps that don’t rate as highly in this department.
BetMGM California: Sports Betting Options (5/5)
BetMGM CA will offer all the sports you could need, including college, professional, and international sports. You can find a long list of bets on all major US sports leagues, as well as a wide range of international soccer and niche competitions such as darts. Individual sports are also well-represented, including racing, MMA, tennis, golf, and boxing. So whether you want to bet on the Indian Wells Masters, the latest UFC main card, an NFL playoff game, or Korean baseball, you should find odds on BetMGM.
What Types of Bets Can I Make at BetMGM Sportsbook?
Any combination of events and sports for parlay betting will be allowed on BetMGM Sportsbook in California. Bettors can even put together a seven-leg parlay with prop bets from seven different professional sports. Best of all, the app makes these types of bets easy. In addition to parlays and props, bettors can find moneyline, point spread, totals, live betting, and head-to-head wagers. There’s so much to like for both recreational and serious bettors.
Here’s a rundown:
💰 Moneyline: It doesn’t get any more basic than a money line wager in sports betting. Pick a team to win. If that team wins, you get money. If it doesn’t, you don’t. Successfully picking an underdog to win will get you more winnings, but you can still pile up smaller wins by picking favorites.
💰 Spread: This is probably the second-most popular type of wager. With a spread bet, you’re projecting the margin of victory or defeat. For instance, let’s say the Rams are playing the Jaguars, and LA is favored by 9.5 points. If you are betting on the Rams, you need them to win by 10 or more points. If they win by at least 10, they would cover the spread. But if Jacksonville can lose by less than 9, it would cover the spread.
💰 Total: Total bets are pretty easy to understand. They all come down the final score. In that Rams-Jaguars came, if the projected total was 48.5 points, bettors on the Over would want the teams to combine for 49 or more points. Bettors on the Under would want the teams to combine for 48 or fewer points. These bets are also referred to as Over/Under bets.
💰 Props: Prop bets are wagers on individual outcomes during the course of a game. They don’t necessarily have the revolve around individual players, but then often do. Some examples — will Player A hit a home run, will Player B record an interception, will Team C score two goals in the first period, etc.
💰 Futures: Futures bets are vastly popular in the preseason, as these bets revolve around season outcomes. Picking a team to win the NBA Finals is a futures bet, for instance. So is predicting who will win NBA MVP.
💰 Parlays: A parlay is a combination of several bets. All have to hit in order to receive your payday. This means you could win a lot more money, but it also could lead to more frustration. If four bets in your five-leg parlay hit but the fifth doesn’t, you win nothing. Ouch. BetMGM also allows bettors to assemble parlays from the same game, which it calls One Game Parlays, or OGPs.
💰 Teasers: A teaser bet lets you buy points in exchange for volume. In other words: A bettor can get more favorable spreads, but they have to make the teaser bet as part of a parlay. The standard amount for teaser bets is six points in football and four points in basketball. So, for instance, if the LA Rams are favored by 2.5 points, you can buy six points to make the spread 8.5 points — but you then have to make that teaser bet part of a parlay.
💰 Live betting: Also known as in-game wagering, live betting is when a bettor places wagers on a game as it progresses. You need the best live stream possible to have the best live betting experience. Odds will fluctuate throughout the game.
BetMGM California: Deposit and Cashout (4.9/5)
The best sportsbooks offer users several options to deposit money and withdraw winnings. BetMGM stands among those industry leaders in this department.
Generally speaking, bettors using BetMGM CA will be able to count on deposit options that include credit/debit card (Visa, Mastercard), online banking (Chase, Wells Fargo, etc.), American Express, ACH or e-check, wire transfer, PayPal, Skrill, Play+ prepaid card, gift card, PayNearMe (CVS, 7-11, Family Dollar), and cash (at the partner casino).
Sportsbooks will often carry fewer options for withdrawals; regulations in some states prevent them from offering more. BetMGM will likely offer several payout options: ACH or e-check, Visa, online banking, cash (at the partner casino), PayPal, Skrill, and Play+ pre-paid card.
For deposits, the processing time is instant for most options. Skrill and PayNearMe can take longer in certain instances. When it comes to withdrawals, though, the processing time ranges from 1-5 days, except for Play+ card and cash.
Cash Out Early at BetMGM Sportsbook
BetMGM California will offer bettors the Cash Out option on certain games for straight and parlay bets.
Essentially, this feature allows you to buy out your wager before it’s settled.
For example: If the Lakers were a +250 underdog against the Clippers and are ahead 84-65 heading into the fourth quarter, you might think you’re headed for a big payout. However, if the Clippers somehow come back, you get nothing. So, Cash Out would allow you to do a buyout on your bet at, say, +200 odds if the Clippers trim the deficit to 12 points early in the fourth and have all the momentum.
In other words: Cash Out allows live bettors to get a guaranteed profit, even if the team or player they wagered on appears to be blowing it.
BetMGM California: Mobile App (4.5/5)
As of February 2023, the BetMGM Sportsbook app had a 4.5-star rating for Android users in the Google Play Store, and it had a 4.8-star rating for iOS users in the Apple Store. There were 140,073 App Store reviews, and 16,389 Google Play Store reviews.
Some recent Android reviews said the new update had slowed down the app. One reviewer said they had an issue with the screen randomly zooming in and the only way to fix it was to close the app and restart it. Still, there are vastly more five- and four-star reviews than these negative ones, but it’s worth noting that there could be lagging issues with the new update.
BetMGM users seem to have a better time on iOS devices. One reviewer said they loved how they could set up push alerts for games they have bets on. Another reviewer said they liked how easy it was to track their MGM Rewards on the BetMGM Sportsbook app.
The app takes up 80.8 MB of space, so it’s one of the smaller sportsbook apps — if that matters to you.
We particularly like the “Top Events” section that shows the biggest, most popular sporting events for gamblers at that time. This is a great way to quickly find intriguing betting options without searching through different sports and leagues.
We also love how BetMGM puts all its promotions — both ongoing promos and its welcome bonus — on one, easy-to-read screen.
Regardless of the operating system, the BetMGM Sportsbook app in California should be easy enough to use and place a bet. The process is similar if you were betting from the sportsbook’s website. All of the same features and markets are accessible on the app.
BetMGM California: Customer Service (5/5)
BetMGM has 24/7 live chat available as part of its customer service — something that can’t be said for all of its competitors. We received a response from a human within one minute after asking a question via the live chat function.
Customers can also send BetMGM Sportsbook an email via an online contact form. The sportsbook also provides helpful FAQ pages and a topic map to help guide you to the question and answer you’re looking for.
If all else fails, you can call The Mirage Race and Sports Book at (702) 696-7007 if you have questions about any wager outcome or transaction on BetMGM.
Setting Limits at BetMGM California
BetMGM Sportsbook gives its customers the option to set limits on their sports gambling. Users can self-impose limits on how much time they spend on BetMGM, how much they can deposit into their BetMGM account, and how much they can spend on each bet.
There’s also the option of self-exclusion, where users cannot even access the app for a given amount of time.
BetMGM Sportsbook in California: Overall Grade (4.9/5)
California bettors won’t go wrong using the BetMGM Sportsbook app.
New users will have access to a quality welcome bonus, and long-time users will also enjoy some of the promotions offered throughout the year. Most users won’t have any trouble finding the sports on which they want to bet, and the types of bets they want to make. There is a lengthy list of sports available to wager, and bettors won’t have much — if any — trouble depositing funds into their accounts or withdrawing winnings.
BetMGM will have some stiff competition in the market, but that’s OK because bettors are encouraged to keep multiple sportsbooks in their rotation.
Can I Use BetMGM in California?
No. BetMGM California won’t exist until sports betting becomes legal in California.
And that won’t happen until 2025 at the earliest.
California voters had the chance to legalize real-money sports betting with two ballot measures in the 2022 election. But they emphatically rejected both, sending sportsbooks back to the drawing board to find a way to gain access to what would be the biggest sports betting market in the US.
BetMGM also offers a horse race betting app, but that isn’t live in California either.
Is BetMGM Legit?
Yes, future California bettors can be confident in the legitimacy of BetMGM Sportsbook. There are a number of reasons for this, including:
- High-end security system: BetMGM uses highly advanced SSL encryption technology to protect itself and its users. So, BetMGM Sportsbook users can rest assured knowing the sportsbook uses the same level of security as online banking companies.
- California will have regulatory oversight: All sportsbooks that launch in California will have to first be approved by a regulatory agency, likely the California Gambling Control Commission. This agency will give BetMGM CA a thorough review before ever allowing it to launch.
- Backed by a globally recognized brand: MGM Resorts is known throughout the world as a rock-solid gambling brand. This company is going to do everything in its power to maintain that global reputation.
- BetMGM is already live and trusted across the country: More than a dozen US states have already approved BetMGM to launch. It just went live in Maryland in November, and Massachusetts just approved its license application. That means the platform BetMGM would use in California has already been scrutinized and picked apart, and ultimately approved, by many other state regulatory agencies.
- Highly accessible customer support: Users can get in touch with BetMGM’s online customer support 24/7 via online chat. Users don’t even need to create an account in order to receive support.
- Major entities, such as the NHL and MSG Entertainment, are official partners with BetMGM: There is zero chance these organizations would risk their reputation by partnering with a shoddy sportsbook. This may sound too simple, but if a league as big as the NHL trusts BetMGM, you can too.
Why Choose BetMGM Over Offshore Betting Sites?
Bettors are encouraged to avoid offshore sports betting sites for a number of reasons.
- Offshore betting sites don’t answer to any regulatory agency: That means the companies behind these sites won’t face any penalty or sanctions if they mistreat their customers.
- Offshore betting sites have been known to not pay out winnings: Not answering to any regulatory body makes this painfully easy. It hasn’t been uncommon for bettors to spend months jumping through hoops to get their winnings rightully paid out. The withdrawal minimums can also be quite high, which forces bettors to bet even more than they may have originally planned.
- Offshore betting sites have vanished in the past: Believe it or not, this actually isn’t as rare as you might think it would be. And the scariest part if that, if an offshore sportsbook disappears overnight, so does any money you had in that site’s account.
For these reasons, and many more, we strongly encourage California sports bettors to wait for legal California sports betting, as hard as that may be.
Why Can You Trust BetMGM California With Your Money?
In addition to strong security features, BetMGM offers the following to help players keep their accounts protected:
- Cashout security feature: You can opt-in to answer security questions each time you cash out to add an extra layer of security. With that on, no one can pose as you and cash out via your account if they have the login info but not the security answers.
- Two-step authentication: If you activate two-step verification, you receive a unique PIN each time you log in that’s sent to your email or phone number.
- Never asking for customer’s password: Customer service will never ask for a member’s password. That way, you know if someone is posing as customer support instead of the real deal.
- Unified app: BetMGM is careful to keep all its users on one app rather than run the risk of one platform being stronger or weaker than another.
Will BetMGM Offer a Retail Sportsbook in California?
With the way things are trending in the US, yes, we’d be surprised if there isn’t eventually a retail BetMGM Sportsbook somewhere in California. When exactly that happens, though, is unknown.
Prop 26 failing in the November 2022 election means we won’t see a retail BetMGM California any time until at least 2025. If retail sports betting is ever legalized in California, MGM Resorts already has a deal in place with the United Auburn Indian Community to run its retail (Thunder Valley Casino Resort) and online sportsbooks
MGM Resorts is also partnered with the Sacramento Kings, and the Kings are partnered with Red Hawk Casino, California’s sixth-largest casino. Could those relationships lead to a BetMGM retail sportsbook at Red Hawk Casino?
Future sports betting propositions might also allow for retail sportsbooks at sports venues. It would then certainly make sense for Golden 1 Center, the Kings’ home arena, to open a retail BetMGM Sportsbook.
Does BetMGM Offer Horse Betting?
Yes. BetMGM is one of the only sportsbooks to also have its own horse race betting app — BetMGM Horse Racing, which California horse betting enthusiasts will want to download if it ever launches in the state.
BetMGM’s horse betting app isn’t legal in as many states, just Ohio, Louisiana, and Florida so far. But its scope will continue to grow. Caesars has also launched its own horse betting app in Caesars Racebook, which is legal in Kentucky, Ohio, Oregon, Montana, Indiana, and Florida.
Important to note: You can only bet on horse races via the BetMGM Horse Racing app. The BetMGM Sportsbook app is where you’ll find everything else.
BetMGM California Fact Sheet
|How old do you have to be?||At least 21 years old|
|What states is it legal in?||AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, MS, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY|
|Who is the sportsbook partner in California?||TBA|
|Launch date in California||2025 (estimated)|
What First-Time Bettors Should Know
If BetMGM California is the first sportsbook app you’ve ever used, here are tips things you need to know before getting started.
- Bonuses aren’t always going to be the same for every customer. Sportsbooks often offer different promos in different states, and based on how frequently a bettor uses their app. Don’t expect bonuses to be one-size-fits-all in sports betting.
- Your original wager is lost with bonus bets. In a regular bet, if you place a winning wager of $100 on -200 odds, you’ll get a payout of $150 — the $50 winnings plus your $100 bet. However, you would only get the $50 winnings in your account of the $100 bet was a bonus bet.
- Always consider the playthrough requirements. These let you know how much money you’ll have to bet before you actually get the full value of your bonus. BetMGM’s welcome offer, for instance, has just a 1x playthrough requirement.
- Check odds boost promos to make sure they’re worth it. Especially with parlays. Believe it or not, sometimes if you manually input the parlay, you’ll get higher odds than if you just used the promo odds boost provided by the app.
- You can’t use bonus bets on promotional offers.
BetMGM California FAQs
No. Sports betting is currently not legal in California, whether in-person or online. Both sports betting initiatives failed in the November 2022 election. Voters will surely have the option to legalize sports betting again on the 2024 ballot.
With sports betting illegal in California, there is no way to legally use BetMGM in California. BetMGM doesn’t offer DFS (which is legal in CA). Horse race betting is allowed in California, but BetMGM is not licensed in the state so the BetMGM Horse Racing app is not offered.
In 2025, at the earliest. That will happen if a sports betting ballot measure passes in the California 2024 election. The only way sports betting can launch in California is if it gets approved by more than half the state’s voters in an election.
If BetMGM California ever becomes reality, yes, you will need to be located in California in order to register. The app will use geo-tracking technology to verify your location. However, you won’t need to register in-person at any of the California Indian casinos. You’ll be able to do it from your phone or computer.
Every state is different, but Californians should anticipate 21 years old being the legal age for betting at mobile and retail sportsbooks.
BetMGM, like any potential California sportsbook, will offer various ways for users to both deposit and withdraw funds. We would recommend using an online bank transfer to for cashouts, as it’s instantaneous and there are no fees. However, if bettors are comfortable with a different option, there are usually plenty to choose from.
Of course. While we can’t know for sure what exactly BetMGM will offer as its welcome bonus if CA online sports betting is ever legalized, we can assume it will be similar to what it currently offers in states where it has launched: Up to $1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets if your first bet loses. Terms and conditions apply.