Disclaimer: DraftKings Sportsbook is not available in California as online sports betting is not legal in the state. This review is speculative and will be updated when sports betting is legalized in California.
There’s a reason DraftKings Sportsbook is seen as an industry leader across the US. It boasts the deepest menu of sports and leagues to bet on and a high-quality app. It will give loyal California sports betting enthusiasts rewarding ongoing promos and consistently competitive odds that keep them coming back.
The only question is if and when DraftKings Sportsbook California will launch. We’re still waiting for that answer but in the meantime, let’s examine at what DraftKings will look like when it does launch in California, including the $1,200 welcome bonus.
Is DraftKings Legal in California?
No. Sports betting is not legal in California, so this review is purely speculative and based on the DraftKings Sportsbook platform in states where it’s legal.
DraftKings California Promo Code December 2023
DraftKings offers one of the most competitive intro promos around, worth up to $1,200 in bonuses. You don’t need a special DraftKings California promo code to secure up to the $1,200 worth of bonuses. We have little doubt that when DraftKings launches in California, its sign-up offers will be some of the best California sportsbook bonuses you’ll find.
|DraftKings California Promo Code 📱||Coming Soon!|
|Welcome Offer 💰||Up to $1,200|
|What States Allow DraftKings 🗺️||AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY|
|Launch Date 📆||Unknown|
|Last Updated ✔️||December 2023|
Terms and conditions apply to all offers. Please see DraftKings Sportsbook California for details. 21+ Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER+
Everything you need to know about the DraftKings California welcome bonus
DraftKings, like many other top sportsbooks, regularly switches up its welcome bonuses to keep things fresh for newcomers. DraftKings might offer first-bet refunds, and/or it could have a unique Bet & Get deal tailored around marquee events like the Super Bowl. Different offers may pop up, but the route to claim them is largely uniform. It boils down to these few simple steps:
- Creating a new account at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- There is no need to scramble for a DraftKings California promo code; you won’t need one to get the bonus.
- Once you wrap up the registration, make your qualifying deposit or place the necessary wager to set the bonus in motion.
DraftKings California shuffles its welcome bonuses like a lot of Golden State sportsbooks. You can, however, group most offers into a few main categories:
- Deposit match: You load your account, and DraftKings throws in a percentage of your deposit as bonus cash. So, with a 20% match up to $1,000, drop in $1,000, and you’re looking at a $200 bonus.
- Deposit & get: This is not your everyday offer, but DK’s been making waves with it. The deal is straightforward — make a deposit that meets the required threshold, and you get a fixed bonus in return. For example, toss in $5 or more and walk away with $50 in bonus bets.
- Bet & get: This promo is akin to the “deposit & get,” but the initial bet sets things in motion rather than the deposit. Once your qualifying bet settles, the sportsbook sends the bonus your way. So, say DraftKings has a Bet $5, Get $200 promo — it’s as straight-up as it sounds. You get $200 in bonus funds for placing a $5+ wager. The best part is that you get the bonus regardless of how the qualifying bet plays out, so you can have your cake and eat it, too.
- First bet refund: Often viewed as a safety net, this type of bonus is a staple among US sportsbooks. It offers a second chance if your initial bet doesn’t pan out. For example, if you put $100 on the Los Angeles Lakers and they don’t come through, the sportsbook will refund your stake, giving you back that $100 in the form of bonus bets. It’s a way to take a shot without the risk of losing your entire initial wager.
DraftKings California welcome bonus terms & conditions
DraftKings usually keep the red tape to a minimum for their welcome offers, so you can often clear the bonus without much hassle. However, combing through the specific terms and conditions for the promo you’re eyeing is always a good idea. Here are a few potential things you might want to keep an eye on to ensure you maximize your DraftKings California welcome bonus:
- Wagering requirements: The standard playthrough for most welcome bonuses is 1x, except for match deposit bonuses. This implies you’ll need to bet the bonus amount once to convert its winnings into withdrawable cash. Remember, when a bonus bet wins, the original stake is removed from the payout, leaving just the profit. For instance, if you win a $100 bonus bet on the Los Angeles Angels at +100, you’ll take home $100 in profit. Regarding match deposit offers, the wagering can be steeper, sometimes going up to 25x the deposited sum.
- Odds limitations on bonus bets: This is about ensuring you’re placing bets at specific odds to meet wagering requirements. For instance, only bets with odds of -500 or longer might be eligible. It means you can’t just pick the heavy favorites; you must be more strategic with your bonus bets to clear them.
- Market restrictions: You might be allowed to use your bonus on a Los Angeles Rams game, but the L.A. Kings might be off-limits. Always check the fine print to see which events or teams are in or out when using DraftKings California bonuses.
- Validity period: The welcome bonus at DraftKings California comes with a ticking clock. Fail to use those bonus bets within the designated time frame, and they’ll simply disappear. Stay sharp and use them before they’re gone.
DraftKings Sportsbook Pros and Cons
✅ You will not find a deeper or more varied menu of sports and leagues to bet on.
✅ The app is high-performing, with few bugs or glitches, making for a near-flawless mobile app experience.
😡 DraftKings can have a high vig, compared to its competitors.
😡 Some promos can have small maximum bets, especially compared to Caesars Sportsbook California.
DraftKings California: Bonus and Promos (4.5/5)
In states where it’s currently legal, DraftKings offers new users a welcome bonus, please see terms and conditions for up to date bonuses and promos.
A bonus bet is always great, and that deposit match promo has a high maximum value compared with the rest of the online sportsbooks.
How to Use DraftKings in California
When it launches in California, here’s how you get your DraftKings Sportsbook welcome promo offer and sign up.
- Click on our DraftKings California promo code “Claim here” link. If you’re on your computer, you will be directed to the DraftKings Sportsbook website. If you’re on your phone, you will be directed to download the iOS app in the App Store or the Android app in the Google Play Store.
- Click on Log In | Join at the top of the screen.
- Click Sign Up on the next screen.
- Create an account by entering your email and phone number, and create a username and password.
- Open the DraftKings app when the sportsbook has launched in California.
- Follow the required steps to claim your $1,200 DraftKings Sportsbook California welcome bonus.
DraftKings Current Promotions
DraftKings Sportsbook is constantly updating its promotions. You’ll find different promos available daily. The promotions also vary depending on your DraftKings Dynasty Rewards tier ranking. We recommend checking the DraftKings Sportsbook promotions page daily to see what offers are currently available.
DraftKings Sportsbook California: Odds vs. the Competition (4.5/5)
DraftKings will offer competitive game lines in California. Its odds tend to be particularly competitive on favorites.
So, bettors who find themselves betting on the favorite should check DraftKings. Even though the app doesn’t always have the best favorite odds, it often does. Bettors will be able to find good underdog odds, too. However, DraftKings will be a must-check sports betting site when bettors gravitate toward a game’s favorite.
Still, we always encourage bettors to shop at multiple different sportsbooks in order to get the most favorable odds for your bets. You may usually like the odds DraftKings CA has. But if it offers +800 odds on the Los Angeles Lakers winning the NBA Finals and BetMGM California offers +1000 odds, you obviously should wager with BetMGM. In that scenario, BetMGM is offering the best odds on the Lakers.
DraftKings CA: Sports Betting Options (5/5)
DraftKings Sportsbook will have the largest selection of sports and leagues to bet on in California. The core of the app’s sports offerings is professional US sports, like the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB. But college sports are also major revenue drivers for sportsbooks. Bettors can also find lines on soccer, tennis, golf, and similarly popular sports.
DraftKings will also offer lines on sports like Gaelic hurling and cricket, and even cornhole. These are less popular sports in American markets. But they increase the number of live betting lines available to bettors. The sportsbook giant even offers lines on esports.
But DraftKings offers lines on many leagues within these sports, too. Soccer has a particularly wide selection of international leagues. Even football and baseball have international options for bettors who want to spread their wings. Care to bet on some Korean baseball?
What Types of Bets Can I Make at DraftKings Sportsbook?
You’ll find pretty much any type of bet that exists on the DraftKings Sportsbook California app. Here’s a breakdown of some of the most common types of wagers in sports betting:
💰 Moneyline: This one is the most basic. You pick a team to win. If that team wins, you win. If that team loses, you lose. You stand to make more money if you pick an underdog (the team that isn’t favored) to win, and it does. But you can still make small bits of money that will add up over time by correctly picking favorites.
💰 Spread: Just a little more complex. Instead of picking the winner, in a spread bet, you wager based on the margin of victory or defeat. For instance, if you are interested in betting on the Dodgers, and LA is favored by 1.5 runs against the Astros, you would need the Dodgers to win by more than 1.5 runs to cash your wager.
💰 Total: Total bets are simple. They’re all about the final score of the game. Say the predicted total for that Dodgers-Astros game was 7.5 runs. That means, if you bet the Over, you’d want the two teams to combine for 8 or more runs. If you took the Under, you’d want them to score 7 or fewer runs. Total bets are also referred to as Over/Under bets.
💰 Props: Prop bets are some of the most fun wagers to make, because they can be on a wide range of topics. They focus on individual outcomes in a game. The first team to score? The first player to hit a 3-pointer? How many receivers will catch a pass in the first quarter? Will a certain pitcher allow two or more runs? And so on.
💰 Futures: Futures bets are wagers on what will happen at the end of the season, and they’re often made in the preseason. You could bet on the Dodgers to win the World Series or bet on the Rams to win the Super Bowl before the seasons start. Those are examples of team futures. But there are player futures, too — You could bet on your favorite Dodgers player to win NL MVP, or your favorite Los Angeles Chargers player to reach certain statistical goals during the season.
💰 Parlays: A parlay is simply packaging multiple wagers into one bet where each individual bet has to win in order for the whole ticket to win. Your payout is much higher, but you won’t receive any winnings if four bets on your five-bet parlay pan out. It’s an all-or-nothing affair. DraftKings allows bettors to make a parlay with legs from just one game, called a Same Game Parlay, or SGP. DraftKings customers can also combine SGPs into one mega-parlay called a Same Game Parlay Extra, or SGPx.
💰 Teasers: A teaser bet involves “buying” points in exchange for bet volume. Translation: You can get a better line, but you have to make the bet as part of a parlay. For example, the standard teaser buy in football betting is six points, so you could shift the spread in a Rams game from 2.5 points to 8.5 points, but you’d have to make that wager as part of a parlay.
💰 Live betting: Also called in-game wagering, live betting happens when you place bets on a game while it is unfolding. Live betting odds often fluctuate, and you need a quality live stream.
DraftKings SGP vs. SGPx
A Same Game Parlay, or SGP, is a parlay where all the bets are from one game.
However, DraftKings also offers the Same Game Parlay Extra, or SGPx. This is a bet consisting of multiple SGPs. As you can imagine, the odds of winning an SGPx are low, but the potential payouts can be quite high.
DraftKings California: Deposit and Cashout (5/5)
DraftKings Sportsbook has one of the largest selections of deposit and withdrawal options on the market. This gives bettors flexibility that they often don’t realize they need. Some deposit options are routinely blocked by certain banks and credit card companies.
So, the long list of deposit options is important for bettors. The deposit options include:
💳 Credit and Debit Cards
🏦 Online Banking
✔️ VIP Preferred eCheck
💸 Play+ Prepaid Card
💻 Wire Transfer
🎁 DraftKings Gift Card
Bettors have more deposit options than most sports betting apps. So, bettors seeking flexibility should consider a DraftKings account if it launches in California. DraftKings’ withdrawals are similar:
🏦 Online Banking
✔️ VIP Preferred eCheck
💸 Play+ Prepaid Card
💻 Wire Transfer
💵 Cash Cage
This is an exceptionally long list of withdrawal options compared to what most sportsbooks offer. Most sportsbooks may offer between 3-5 withdrawal options. DraftKings offers seven. So, bettors have great flexibility in how they move money among their accounts.
DraftKings California: Mobile App (5/5)
The DraftKings Sportsbook mobile app is well put together, easy on the eyes, and, more importantly, easy to navigate. Not all sportsbook apps are able to squeeze everything onto one screen — promos, ads, odds — as well as DraftKings does.
If it launches in California, the DraftKings Sportsbook app will have navigational tabs on the bottom of the screen. There, bettors can find the A-Z sports list, the promotions, and the help section. Each screen offers clear navigational prompts, too. Once bettors have selected a sport to bet on, the leagues are easy to scroll through.
We like the “Trending” section, which allows users to see the most popular current bets on DraftKings throughout the US. Head to the Quick Parlay section and you’ll find “Trending” there.
Overall, this mobile app is easy to use. It’s a sleek app that performs well. It has no lag and bettors don’t have to worry about frequent crashes. It’s also easy for bettors to navigate.
In states where it’s legal, the DraftKings Sportsbook app has 4.8 stars on the App Store and 4.6 stars on the Google Play Store.
DraftKings California: Customer Service (4/5)
DraftKings provides an easily accessible help center with a wide range of FAQs divided into 12 sections: Deposits & Withdrawals, My Account, Promotions & Offers, Dynasty Rewards, Fantasy Sports, Sportsbook, Pools, Casino, Marketplace, Reignmakers, Responsible Gaming, and Contact DraftKings.
These are in-depth and quite helpful. They cover just about every topic you can think of.
Beyond those FAQs, you can also contact support via a request form. When we used the site on desktop, we couldn’t live chat with a human and had a bot direct us to the FAQs, which was less than ideal. Our request form got an email response within five minutes, but it’s nice to have a real live chat feature.
There’s no way to contact DraftKings customer support on the phone, either.
Setting Limits at DraftKings California
DraftKings Sportsbook allows its customers to set limits for themselves. There are four ways to do this:
- Time limits — how much time per day you can use the app
- Deposit limits — these can be daily, weekly, or monthly
- Wagering limits — the maximum amount you can bet
- Self-exclusion — you won’t be able to access the sportsbook app for a certain amount of time
These limits will take effect right after you put them in place. Once you have set a certain limit, you have to wait for it to expire before removing it, extending it, or modifying it in any way. Translation: You can’t change a limit once you’ve set it, for obvious reasons.
DraftKings Sportsbook California: Overall Grade (4.7/5)
There’s a reason DraftKings is so popular in the US. It’s just hard to find any significant flaws with the sportsbook, on its website and app. You’re always going to find competitive odds, and DraftKings Sportsbook’s sprawling menu of sports and leagues to bet on is second to none in the sports betting industry. Plus, you’ll have all the deposit and cashout options you could ever need, and the app is just about flawless.
No matter the state, DraftKings is almost always the most popular or second-most popular sports betting app where it’s legal. If DraftKings Sportsbook ever launches its online platform in California, it will surely be right up at the top of the CA sports betting leaderboard, too.
Can you use VPN to bet with DraftKings Sportsbook?
Technically, you can use a VPN to sign up, create an account, and look at odds for any sportsbook. But that’s about all you can do. DraftKings requires you verify your identity to make bets. Many deposit and withdrawal methods require a billing address, too, which security looks at.
A VPN works by masking your IP address, and that will likely get you blocked by sportsbook security anyway.
Long story short: Sorry, but using a VPN won’t let you place bets with DraftKings Sportsbook in California.
Can You Use DraftKings Sportsbook in California?
Not yet, sports betting is illegal in California as of December 2023, so DraftKings Sportsbook is not online in the state. You can sign up with and use DraftKings DFS throughout the state though.
Is DraftKings Sportsbook Legit?
Absolutely. Here’s why:
- It is based in the US. And that means it’s regulated by oversight bodies whose job is to protect the customers. Sportsbooks based outside the US don’t face any such oversight.
- It is already in more than a dozen states. That means regulatory agencies in many other states have already verified DraftKings’ safety. That doesn’t just happen by accident — it means the online sportsbook checks every box for safety and security.
- It lets you deposit money with Visa or Mastercard. It means a whole heck of a lot that these two titans of the credit card industry trust DraftKings enough to allow their customers to use it.
- It has its own internal security system to prevent hackers or cybercriminals from accessing its users’ information. Again, this is something most offshore betting sites don’t have, and you don’t want to suffer because of that. We’ll get to that more shortly.
Ultimately, DraftKings Sportsbook is a completely legitimate online sports betting site that you can trust doing business with.
Why Choose DraftKings Sportsbook CA Over Offshore Betting Sites?
Offshore betting sites may be attractive if you are impatient to start betting on sports. But there are plenty of reasons why you should reconsider.
- Offshore sports betting sites don’t answer to any regulatory agency. That means that, technically, these sites can do whatever they want with your money and information. This isn’t to say all offshore sites will steal from you. But it’s a scary proposition to think you have no legal recourse if they do.
- Offshore betting sites have nothing to stop them from selling your personal information to cybercriminals. And maybe even worse: These sites often lack strong digital security measures. So even if they try to protect your information from hackers, they might not be able to. That’s not a risk we advise taking.
- You aren’t guaranteed to receive your winnings from offshore betting sites. Again, without anybody regulating them, these illegal sports betting sites do whatever they want. If they don’t want to pay you your winnings, they don’t have to. Now, most offshore sites are trying to build customer bases, and holding back users’ winnings is no way to do that. But still, an illegal offshore betting site is simply not worth your time and money.
Thus, even though it may take a while yet for DraftKings Sportsbook California to launch, it’s still a much better choice to wait for this legitimate option than it is to funnel your money into an unregulated operation.
Why Can You Trust the DraftKings California App With Your Money?
The mobile app and website are both secured with SSL certification. In short, this type of encryption prevents user information from being easily scooped or harvested by hackers or other cybercriminals. Furthermore, DraftKings uses its own antivirus software and investigative agents to ensure security for the mobile app and the website.
For online transactions (deposits and cashouts), DraftKings only accepts secure and safe money transfers. Again, the same agencies that oversee various casinos in other states will oversee DraftKings Sportsbook California.
The state government, in other words, makes sure that the mobile sportsbook won’t mistreat your money or take it away from you without cause.
You can contact California’s regulatory gambling agencies and start an investigation if there is an issue. This threat alone guarantees that DraftKings won’t try anything funny.
Does DraftKings Offer Fantasy Sports in California?
DraftKings DFS is a widely popular daily fantasy sports app in California and across the country. Technically, DFS is neither legal or illegal in California, so DFS operators like DraftKings can offer their platforms the exact same way they would if DFS were explicitly legal.
There are no signs California lawmakers want to legislate DFS any time soon, so DraftKings and all California DFS apps will continue doing what they’ve done for the foreseeable future.
Californians can also access DraftKings Marketplace, where they can buy, sell, and collect NFTs.
Will DraftKings Offer a Retail Sportsbook in California?
It certainly could one day, but as of December 2023, there is no timetable for when that will happen. DraftKings could partner with the Indian casinos in California to offer a retail sportsbook. But again, whether that happens remains to be seen.
Also, future retail sports betting initiatives might allow for sportsbooks at sports venues, which would open up the possibility for locations at venues such as SoFi Stadium, Dodgers Stadium, and Crypto.com Arena.
DraftKings is currently partnered with MLB. Three MLB teams (Giants, Dodgers, Padres) are partnered with three Indian casinos (Cache Creek Casino Resort, Yaamava’ Resort & Casino, Sycuan Casino Resort), so those could be potential casino sportsbook locations to keep an eye on.
DraftKings Sportsbook California Fact Sheet
|How old do you have to be?||21|
|What states is it legal in?||AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY|
|Who is the sportsbook partner in California?||To be determined|
|Launch date in California||Unknown|
What First-Time Bettors Should Know
If DraftKings California is your first dive into sports betting, here are some tips you need to read:
- Bonuses can be different based on location and account usage. DraftKings doesn’t necessarily offer the same promos in every state. And a more frequent bettor might not get the same ongoing promos as a bettor who barely uses the app. Promos aren’t a one-size-fits-all deal.
- Your original wager is lost with bonus bets. Bonus bets are great because they make the introduction to sports betting a little less daunting. However, they are not the same as regular bets. If a regular bet of $100 wins on -200 odds, you’d get $150 back — your original wager plus the $50 winnings. With a bonus bet, you would only get the $50 winnings.
- Always consider the playthrough requirements. Some bonuses seem too good to be true until you read the terms and conditions and see playthrough requirements. Essentially, a playthrough requirement is how many times you have to bet the amount of your promotional wager to receive your full bonus.
- Double-check odds boosts on parlays. Sometimes, an odds boost promo is actually worse than the odds you’d get if you just manually selected the parlay legs yourself. Yes, it’s true.
- You can’t use bonus bets on ongoing promotion offers.
DraftKings California FAQs
No. DraftKings Sportsbook is not legal in California because sports betting is not legal in California.
Until real-money sports betting is legal in California, the only way to use DraftKings California is to play daily fantasy sports with DraftKings DFS.
That’s the million-dollar question. As of December 2023, it remains to be seen when DraftKings Sportsbook and online sports betting in general will launch in California.
If it becomes legal in California, you’ll have to be at least 21 to bet on sports in the state.
Yes. If DraftKings ever launches in California, it will offer odds on esports. That’s one of the areas in which DraftKings will set itself apart from its competition. Not all sportsbooks offer odds on esports.
Yes. In all states in which it is currently legal, DraftKings provides one of the best live betting experiences in the industry. If DraftKings CA launches, it will no doubt offer the same option to Californians.
It really depends on what you’re most comfortable with, because there are many ways to make a deposit. We, however, recommend bank transfers or credit card deposits because they are the fastest options. DraftKings, like any potential California sportsbook, will offer plenty of deposit and cashout options.
It’s easy. Check the terms and conditions for up to date promos and bonuses. Underneath each ongoing promo, you’ll see the option to “Opt In” — click on that. You will then be notified that you have opted in for the selected DraftKings promo.
Yes. If DraftKings ever launches in California, you’ll be able to sign up for the sports betting app from anywhere in the state. We seriously doubt California will require bettors to register in-person at one of the partner Indian casinos in California.